Published June 30, 2020 by Esther Ebere
Digital Marketing is one of the most sought after tech skills that focuses on various marketing practices like SEO, affiliate marketing, social media marketing, blogging, PPC, CPC etc. In this article we will look at the various terminologies used in digital marketing.
1. AdSense (Google AdSense): This is a platform owned by Google that allows publishers to earn money through publishing of Google network ads on their websites.
2. Algorithm: This is a set of rules used by Google to rank and order websites in search results. The most important algorithm used by Google for ranking is SEO.
3. Conversion rate: This is describes the number of people who were able to perform a desired action on a website such as subscribing to a list or placing an order for a product.
4. Bot: Bot is referred to as a “crawler” or “”spider” used by search engines to crawl the content of a website for indexing and ranking.
5. A/B Testing: This is a term that describes that testing of two groups – group A and group B. A/B testing reveals the most preferred group by the target audience.
6. Keywords: They are phrases commonly searched for in search engines by users when looking for a specific content.
7. Link Building: This is also referred to as building backlinks. Link building is where one’s content on a particular topic is linked to by an external website.
8. Black Hat: This uses SEO to rank on search engines without observing the set down guidelines for ranking. It is termed “unethical” method of ranking.
9. Bounce rate: This describes the rate at which people visit a website without spending time on it. These visitors open a website and quickly leave without engaging on the site.
10. Business Manager: This is a Facebook platform that allows the management of different Facebook pages and ad accounts form a chief account.
11. CTA (call to action): This can a text or image persuading a buyer to perform a particular action on a website like Signups, purchasing a product, joining a mail list etc.
12. Click Through rate: This shows the number of users who clicked on links provided in emails or website pages.
13. Marketing Automation: This is the use of softwares to automate advertising tasks like social media posts, emails etc. Some marketing automation tools are Hubspot and mailchimp softwares.
14. Competitive analysis: This is analyzing one’s competitors and their business in order to learn from them. This will either help one to improve on their own businesses.
15. Cost per Acquisition (CPA): This is a metric used to measure the amount of money spent in procuring a new lead or customer though paid advertising.
16. Conversion rate optimization (CRO): This is marketing method that optimizes a website for users to take preferred actions on a website.
17. Content Strategy: This involves designing and effecting of content for marketing campaigns. Some of the content strategies are Audits, style guides, competitive analysis and setting KPIs.
18. Display ads: These are ads that come in different formats like text, video, flash and audios, seen on blogs, websites and social media. They are also called banner ads.
19. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): they are measureable standards used to track growth made towards a marketing goal. Features of KPIs are they are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.
20. Paid ads: This is the use of paid advertising to generate leads, increase website traffic or get new buyers. Paid ads can be grouped into social media ads and display ads.
21. Sales Funnel: A sales funnel includes series of events a user is encouraged to act on in order to become a buying customer. A sales funnel includes a landing page, an order page and a thank you page.
22. Search engine optimization: This involves optimizing a website in order to show up in organic search results on search engines like Google and Bing.
23. Social media marketing: This involves getting new leads or driving traffic to one’s website by sharing valuable content on various social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
24. Website Traffic: this refers to the number of website visits on a blog or website over a given period of time.